This sandwich can be thrown together quickly if you have a little left over smoked mackerel (and don’t we all sometimes). Be careful not to overpower the subtle taste of mackerel.
- 2-3 oz smoked mackerel, flaked
- 1/2 tsp Horseradish sauce (or to taste)
- Regular mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp curry sauce
- 1 tbs finely diced onion
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes
- Optionally add a teaspoon of paprika and a teaspoon of garam masala to the mix.
- Two pieces of toasted bread
- 1-2 tbs finely chopped basil
- 1 tbs remoulade
After removing all bones, mix the smoked mackerel with the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, curry sauce and onions. Add paprika and garam masala if so desired, and stir. Toast two slices of bread. Arrange the mackerel salad on the toast, add 2-3 slices cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with basil.
Note: This salad can easily be modified with various spices to taste completely different. Don’t be afraid to experiment, but be careful not to overwhelm the mackerel taste.
Serve with a side of caper berries and remoulade for dipping.